Friday, May 5, 2017

The Weekend Spin: Introduction

I've been blogging for awhile now and I always feel bad when I don't post something to one of my blogs in a long time, especially when I give a lot of regular attention to another. For this particular blog, I know there are a lot of missed opportunities on my end as well. New records in my collection, interesting listening experiences, and cool collecting news are common occurrences in my life, yet my blog remains silent. 


On one of my other blogs The Grand Emperors: Retro Video Game Blog, I have a series called 8-bit Friday's that I put out on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and covers some of my new game purchases, and game plays that may occur over a weekend. So I decided to maybe try that formula here as well. With the goal being to talk about what records I may have purchased that week, and what listening experiences I've had over a weekend. Unlike my 8-bit Fridays articles where I buy and play multiple games, my goal here is to try to buy, and listen to one record at a time. Of course as I say that I need to indicate that the record being bought is not always going to be the same as the one being listened to. My logic behind this is that a lot of the records I'm looking to buy in the near future I have to order online, so as one is being bought another is being listened to. I'll also put it out there that I have a small stack of records that were given to me that I haven't had a chance to listen to yet, and they may be joining part of the buy or listen list as finds.  

Of course I have a few other issues in this as well, such as the fact that regular weekend listening isn't always possible since my main record player is in my living room, and sometimes the suggestion of listening to a record on a Friday or Saturday night can be hotly contested. My goal was to eventually build myself and amateur audiophiles area in my basement but that has yet to come to fruition. I also have had some fantasy about having friends and neighbors over for a platter parties  in which my living room record player was the center focus, but I know that will never come to be. With all that said once a record is on my troubles aren't necessarily over, since actually listening to the record can sometimes be an issue over household and kid noises. 

Juxtaposed to all that there are benefits too, such as the fact that records can be played during dinner, or even taken in on comfy couches with a few good glasses of wine. As matter of fact red wine and records was once a regular Saturday night occurrence and I wouldn't mind returning to it. That also makes me wonder if I should occasionally throw a wine or beer pairing in as well. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this new series and I hope you are too. I also should probably mention that Diary of an Amateur Vinyl Record Collector and The Grand Emperors: Retro Video Game Blog will actually be coming under one banner on a shared website pretty soon so look for that as well. 

2 comments: