Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Record Rec Room Dilemma

You've probably seen one in the movies, or TV, or perhaps you or someone you know has one. It is the record rec room, and in most cases it isn't much more then a small area with a record player, some records and maybe something that can be called seating. 

In high school the father of a friend had converted the small loft space above his garage into an area like this. This of course was to the disapproval of my friend, who with his 9 siblings had made this place a kind of treehouse over the years. 

Dad on the other hand, had finally saved enough money to buy a 5 CD carousel, which back then was big money and on the cusp of technological advancement. He and Mom then decided the old Hi-Fi system had to go to make room for the new technology. But the portable record player and the records where saved by Mom, since the record player was a wedding gift, and many of the records had sentimental associations as well. 

So the narrow loft space above the garage became their home, initially meant as an area of solitude for Mom, Dad, and old memories, old habits die hard and the kids many of them teenagers took over. For my friend his parents albums, many of which where from the late 60's and 70's, always captivated him. As a big fan of The Doors in particular he would often take the ladder made of 2x4's up to the loft after school as much as possible to listen to them, as well as the Eagles, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, and Lead Zeppilin to name a few. 

The room consisted of nothing more the a rug on the floor, the portable record player, and the record rack. There was no setting except for a uncomfortable metal folding chair, which no one ever used. I remember visiting the spot once and sharing a few cold Cokes, and cookies with him as a few of his younger siblings while listening to a Queen album, and played Go Fish (I meant literal younger siblings). I can just remember the sound that old Zenith portable record player got. 

When I decided to finally begin collecting vinyl I thought it would be cool to have a space like that. Then I began to get a headache over buying a portable record player, I was certain I would have to get an old one off E-bay, and then came the thoughts about whether it would work or not, or need a new needle, and how much a good one mint or near mint would cost me. Then one night while looking at vinyl record collecting online I came across the Amazon Vinyl Store, yes it's there google it if you want to get right to it. The store not only has a great listing of albums, but there where new portable record players right there. Many of them go for less then $100, but one compliant from feedback that seems to be common for all of them is that the speakers aren't very powerful. Not exactly what I remember from my friends Zenith or whatever brand of portable I had as a kid. But some of the reviews do seem to disagree leading me to believe sound is in the ear of the beholder. 

Until then and until I expand my record collection a bit more, I guess I will continue to dream of an old school record rec room. But I will keep you posted. 

Do you have a record rec room? Let me know respond to this post, and/or e-mail me photos I know I, and probably my readers would love to see your chill space.

No comments:

Post a Comment